Presentation Title: Searching for the Wizard of Oz (in your organization/profession)
This presentation is designed to challenge and motivate. Video clips from the Wizard of Oz are used to illustrate the key points which are:
- We are not in Kansas any more. We discuss how the world has changed and I provide a variety of images that resonate with audiences contrasting the old and the new such as free road maps at gas stations to gps, manual typewriters to computers, reel-to-reel tape recorders to ipods, etc. The first point is the world has changed? Has this organization or profession changed? How do we need to change to meet the challenges of the future?
- What would you do with a brain if you had one? During her search for the Wizard, Dorothy encountered the scarecrow who wanted a brain. What should your organization or profession do if you had a brain? A number of suggestions are provided.
- The cowardly lion wanted courage! We need the courage to become politically active or change how we operate or try new things. I consult with your leadership to determine what should be emphasized here (and in point 2).
- The tin man needed a heart! No matter what we do, we encounter and work with people every day. We must show compassion and interest in others in order to be successful. We must have a heart.
- There is no Wizard of Oz! Dorothy discovered there was really no Wizard of Oz. In our organization, we must become the Wizard of Oz. If it is to be, it is up to me (and us).